We then drove out to our temporary residence about three miles outside of town and found that it consisted of about 25 buildings about 5 years old set up in a way to resemble a small community. The small condo consisted of a living room/kitchen, a bathroom with a tub/shower combination, and a bedroom. It was very adequate for our needs.
The next day was spent reacquainting ourselves with the visitor sites of the area. The visitor’s center with its displays and the 20 minute video of old Nauvoo and the Cultural Center with its evening production of “Rendezvous in Old Nauvoo” were the highlights of the day. We even ran into a member of the Granite Bay 2nd Ward there.
After another night in our temporary residence we arrived at the “Arrival Center” at 10:00am and were given the keys for our residence for at least, the next six months. We have been assigned to live at 740 Parley Street (not a mailing address). Our residence occupies the ground floor with another missionary couple occupying the 2nd floor. It is a red brick home in a rather undeveloped, but very grassy area. My uneducated guess is that we are surrounded by about 10 acres of green grass. Our place contains a living room with cable TV, a kitchen with modern appliances, a bathroom with a shower (presently minus a shower curtain), and a bedroom large enough for a super king bed, computer table, and a chest of drawers.
Our
evening was spent dining at the home of our Host and Hostess for the
day. Also at the dinner we ran into a couple, The Riffeys, whom I knew
back in 1965, Elaine Riffey was a councilor to Judy in the Primary
Presidency of the San Jose 9th Ward.
Our Sunday afternoon and all day Monday we will have the opportunity to relax and do some touring, finish unpacking, and finding places for the contents of the car.
For those who care, our address for mail (and chocolate chip cookies) is:
Paul and Bonnie Walter
P.O. Box 310
Nauvoo, IL 62354-0310
(Packages sent via FedEx or UPS):
Paul and Bonnie Walter
50 N. Wells Street
Nauvoo, IL 62354
Please don’t use cute titles such as Grandpa, or Grandma, or Old Man since it will be too hard for the postman to tell which one you are intending it to be sent.
Our Cell phones are still the same:
Paul (916)759-2954
Bonnie (925)628-4183
We look forward to seeing as many family and friends as possible during the stay here in Nauvoo, the beautiful.
Love,
Paul and Bonnie



4 comments:
Sounds like you are having a great and quiet experience. Scout says she misses you.
-Katie Chase
I'm glad that you got there safe. That is a beautiful picture of the temple you took from your car. I bet it is amazing how it stands out at night. After you read so many church history books I bet it is really neat to see some of the actual places. I am excited to see them and be able to associate the events with the place. I hope you are having a good enough time and getting enough rest. Thanks for keeping a blog so we can enjoy some of your experiences. Love Davethechase
I'm glad you got there safely. It sounds like the beginning of a wonderful experience. I'm looking forward to reading all about it. Love, Cindy Glad
I kind of liked your temp house better than your new one but they both seem quite nice for missionaries! I can't even imagine the peace and quiet of a sacrament meeting without the beautiful sound of babies and children! Enjoy your time to serve and learn more about the temples of our Lord. LUVS
Linda Kelly
Post a Comment